Sunday, December 21, 2008

A Tennessee Christmas

last saturday my family went to get our chirstmas tree. lately we've been getting our tree from this little farm in fall branch, tn (population: 1,300). i've never been before bc they usually get it before i come home. it was a very southern experience.

after picking out the tree we wanted, two monosyllabic teenagers came to cut it down for us. they put it on a sled and dragged it behind a tractor up to the prep site. first they propped the tree in this thing that shakes all loose needles and branches off. the boys couldn't do it themselves so they enlisted the help of a classic east tennessean - old man, gray beard, camo hat, lacking a few teeth, distinct accent. a few minutes later the owner of the farm showed up & started chatting with me. upon discovering i study public health he responded, "did you see my mississippi outhouse in the front yard?" i hadn't noticed it so he showed it to me, including the outdoor shower. not that any of it was functioning; no, it was just for decoration. bc nothing says classy like an outhouse in your frontyard.

1 comment:

More Bacon said...

Wow...yeah, I am sure that when I have a home, my first decoration will be the outhouse in the front yard...hello!!