Friday, October 12, 2007

O Canada

I went to Montreal over fall break. (I have now FINALLY been to Canada) Two of my friends (Manorexic & WorldTraveler) from Utah flew out and we all met up in Canada to visit our friend, Quebecois. Montreal is a beautiful, culturally diverse city. Almost everyone there is fluent in both English & French so I felt totally uneducated the entire time I was there. Most of our visit revolved around eating really good food & meeting Quebecois' friends. We did manage to get in some cultural sites around the shopping and eating. For example, this is the largest church in North America:

And here we are visiting McGill Univeristy with James McGill himself:


The last few days I was there Manorexic & I went to visit some families that he knew when he served as a missionary there. This was fun/potentially awkward as all the families thought that we were married. I wanted to put my ring on my left hand & pretend we were for kicks, but he thought that if he ever goes back with a real wife it would raise questions. The best family we visited was a Chinese family with 2 adorable little boys. I spent most of the visit trying to convince the younger one that he wanted me to hold him. It was quite a victory when he finally ran over to me with his little chubby arms raised up. It made me almost consider having children.


Another highlight was going to the tam-tams, which is basically a hippie party in Parc du Mont-Royal (a big park in the city). People bring their bongo drums and just go at it. Those without drums show up to dance & smoke pot. I'm not sure if the guy in picture below dressed up for the occasion or always wears this outfit, but I thought it was pretty awesome either way:

The day we left the Manorexic & I drove up to the top of Mont-Royal to see the city. I think the best part about the city was that it was fall & all the leaves were changing. you can kinda see it in the picture below:
So that was Montreal. More scandalous stories coming soon.

1 comment:

IzeOfLight said...

I can't wait for the scandalousness!