Friday, September 7, 2007

Things I've Learned

I've decided to introduce a section in my blog about the scary things I learn at school everyday. I have a feeling my parasitic diseases class will provide prime material for this. Here are the highlights from this week:


  • There are lots of parasites in water. The one above is called cryptosporidium. It is responsible for 60% of gastroenteritis outbreaks in the US. You've probably had it before.
  • Chlorine doesn't kill parasites
  • Public pools are not filtered well & are basically just big vats of parasitic water b/c of the people that swim without showering first

all these people are probably infecting each other. sick.
  • 82% of people think that if you have diarrhea you should never swim at a public pool. Great. What about the other 18%? What are those people thinking??? "Hmmmm, I have the runs today. Maybe a nice dip at the public pool will clear it up!"

4 comments:

rbsp said...

The people in that picture look like parasites.

IzeOfLight said...

I love how you write your blog so similarly to how to talk, Brooke. Makes me happy, like I can *hear* you anytime I want!

bh said...

seriously - it is gross! i've been invited to go swimming 3 times in the past week & have definetly turned them all down.

More Bacon said...

There is a big outbreak (infestation?) of cryptosporidium here in Utah. The health department had to say that no one under 5 and no one else in a diaper could use public pools. There are signs all around public pools right now about not getting in if you've been sick in the last few days.

Ew. I'll stay on the land.