Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Bright Lights, Big City


Moving from Bubble-ville to a city of 5.3 million was bound to be a big change. I expected things like horrible traffic (check), getting lost daily (check), & a better night life (the jury is out - it would probably be cool if i had some friends...). There have been some unexpected perks though:

1. Getting hit up by bums for money anytime I venture away from my house or Emory's campus. One dude even accosted me as I was getting in my car at the grocery store. Not that I have anything against people eating, but when you can smell the alcohol on them, you know it is not going to "food".

2. People borrowing my cell phone. In the past 2 weeks, 3 random people on MARTA (the train system) have asked me if they could borrow my phone. Note that I had not used my phone in their presence & they had no way of knowing that I actually owed one. Yesterday the lady next to me used hers & then a girl asked me to borrow mine. WTF?

3. Fun stuff to stare at on the street. Last week a friend & I drove by a car being torched in the middle of the road. Why? No idea. But, I never saw interesting stuff like that in Bubble-ville.

As one of my friends down here told me, "Atlanta is great. You can have all the high cultural experiences of other cities & the all excitement of dodging bullets on the way home. It is the best of both worlds!"

No comments: