Monday, August 31, 2009

debt free, bitches! or, how shrewd investments & generational wealth paid off my student loans

that's right, today is the best day of my life. i am not longer trapped under a mountain of crushing debt and constantly increasing interest payments.

back when the former president decided to start an unnecessary war, i remembered my US history lessons about the economy growing during wartime. so i took some money i had & bought a bunch of stocks. they were safe, long-term growth stocks, but the economy was doing quite well at the time and i managed to double my investment in about five years. at the same time, i put all the extra money i had into a high-interest rate mutual fund (which was doing quite well till the banks crashed & burned)

my investments left me with about half of the money i needed for grad school & i could have slowly paid off the rest over the course of 20 years or something. but, i found a better option at the Dr.Hixson Interest-Free Loan & Grant Program. my wonderful father cashed in some CDs, mailed me some checks, & drastically reduced my principle balance. also, my inheritance from my beloved grandfather came through just in time for me to pay off the remaining balance (he even helps me with school from the great beyond!)

things i'm grateful for (to steal from various bloggers i know): ancestors who made wise investments & passed that generational wealth down to me!

No comments: