Monday, August 4, 2008

welcome home. now get married.

i got back from africa about a week ago. even though my mother has been busy with work, her church calling, her current missionary project, a broken washing machine, & coordinating a trip to utah this past weekend, she has found a new hobby as well. it is called "encouraging my daughter to get married" - but not to just anyone. she has a specific boy in mind and his name here is PC. she has met him only once & it was 8 months ago so i'm not sure what has brought on this sudden rush of affection for him as a future son-in-law. here are a few examples of her not-so-subtle hints:

1. she saved me some national geographic issues while i was in zambia. one was on africa. the other was on the country PC spent his summer in. 
me: why would i want that one?
mom: well, PC was there this summer...
me: yeah, mom. not me. don't care
mom: okay, i just thought you might be interested...
me: i'm not

2. i went to lunch with PC while in utah. she was very keen on having my father drive me up to his house rather than my older sister. when i told her Older Sister was taking me-
mom: i was hoping your father could drive you up. then he could meet PC
me: why does he need to meet him?
mom: i just think it would be nice...
me: right. sure, mom.
(The 'Rents did end up driving me b/c Older Sister was tired. Mom was probably thrilled out of her mind & insisted on everyone getting out of the car so they could all say hello. yay.)

i figure i let her continue her awkward attempts of matrimonially encouragement for a few more weeks before i burst her bubble. or maybe i'll just lead her on for a while. it is pretty hilarious to watch.


1 comment:

More Bacon said...

Wow...fortunately, my parents haven't gotten anywhere near that point yet, but they do occasionally make references to my need to date guys whose names they have heard but whom they have never met.

I should stop mentioning guys' names...