Sunday, November 4, 2007

appearances can be deceiving...or, why i hate movie ratings


I've seen 2 films in the theater in the past few weeks. The Darjeeling Unlimited (reviewed below) was rated R, but I don't keep that rule so of course I went to see it anyway. Popular Blogging Friend told me it was only rated R for language & she was fairly correct. No violence, one minor sex scene in which both people were fully clothed, & some swear words. I came out of the theater surprised at how clean it actually was.
In contrast a few days ago I went to see Elizabeth:The Golden Age. I didn't know much about it, but I saw as I went in that it was rated PG-13. I was thought happily, "Oh, good, this won't be too bad". Wrong. This film had torture, war, a much more risque sex scene, other non-sex nudity, & bad language. I came out of that theater disturbed that my little sister would be allowed to buy a ticket to that film.

Seriously - the MPAA rating system is crap.

No comments: