Thursday, May 15, 2008

a typical conversation with my grandmother

My grandparents live about 10 minutes from the Jersey shore so I decided to hit the beach yesterday. When I told my grandmother about my plans, she immediately began worrying about my safety (worrying is her favorite hobby). Even after discussing my successful international travels & consequent ability to go to the beach alone, we had this conversation:

Do you have enough gas?
Yes, Grandma.
Now when you are at the beach, don’t talk to strange men you don’t know. They may want to hurt you or rob you.
Ok, Grandma. I think I’ll be alright.
Now, you have a cell phone, right? If something happens to you, use your phone to call 911.
Ok, Grandma.
When you leave the car, make sure to thoroughly lock all the doors of the car. And make sure the trunk is locked too.
Ok, Grandma. (thinking: No one is going to break into your 1992 Ford Taurus)
Do you know how to get to the shore? Do you need a map?
I know how to get there, Grandma. I’ll be fine.
You can just take 36 all the way to the ocean.
Ok, Grandma.
Call us if you have any problems. Do you have our phone number?
Yes, Grandma.
Grandpa pipes in: "Meda, she'll be fine. Just let her go"
Ok, well, after you get the car from the garage, honk as you drive by the house to let me know you are leaving.
Ok, Grandma. Bye, Grandma.

1 comment:

More Bacon said...

That is soooo classic. I love grandparents.