Saturday, April 12, 2008

Another gem from the Kingsport Times-News





Boy has kindly started cutting out the best of my hometown paper's editorials and saving them for me. i'm not sure if the polar bear letter can ever be topped, but this one is stiff competition. the last sentence says it all:






I write this letter to honor one of America's great men. More important to me, one of the South's greatest men. I am talking about Jefferson Davis. June 3 is his 200th birthday, born in 1808.
He was secretary of war for the USA, but like most wouldn't go against his beloved South. He became the president.
Davis was offered amnesty by Lincoln in 1864. When David heard of it he wrote back. "Amnesty, sir, applies to criminals. We have committed no crime. At your door lies all the misery and crime of this war. We are fighting for independence and that or extermination we will have. You may emancipate every Negro in the Confederacy, but we will be free, we will govern ourselves. If we have to see every Southern plantation sacked and every Southern city in flames."
These words make me proud to say I am a great-grandson of a Southern soldier, and I was born in the Confederate state of Tennessee. Remember one thing. Great people are in the eyes of the winner, though the loser may have greater people.

2 comments:

More Bacon said...

Wow...that last sentence was...something...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.