Thursday, January 30, 2014

you're ringing the only wedding bell

Most of you already know this, but just in case you haven't heard - I'm engaged! To the aforementioned The Beard, of course. It is simultaneously wonderful and overwhelming. I have never been the focus of so much emotion. Screaming, crying, jumping up and down... these are all reactions people had when I told them. And the hugging. So. much. hugging.

So here is the roundabout proposal story: Longtime readers know that I am kinda obsessed with my maternal grandparents. One of things I admired most about them was the love and devotion they had for each other. They were just adorable. After my grandfather retired, he would get up and make breakfast (toast, coffee cake, juice, & tea) and bring it to my grandmother on a tray every morning. They would relax on the bed, read the paper, and eat a leisurely breakfast for 2 hours. When we visited as children, we would crowd onto the bed with them and steal all the danishes. Eating breakfast in bed with them is probably my most cherished memory of them.

The Beard had heard all these stories and brought me breakfast in bed one time on vacation. So on Friday night when he casually mentioned he wanted to have breakfast together on Saturday, I thought little of it. He showed up early with muffins and fruit and announced we were eating breakfast in bed. Once again, I just thought he was being his usual sweet self. He sat down next to me and said something about how he hoped we could be as happy & in love for as long as my grandparents were. Then he got down on one knee and pulled out the ring. I was totally shocked and romantically said, "Are you proposing to me right now?!!" After the sappy romantic parts were over I said, "You proposed to me while I was wearing my pajamas!"

Even with the pajamas, it was perfect. 

2 comments:

More Bacon said...

That's one of the most romantic stories I've heard in ages.

The pajamas make it even more adorable.

I'm so excited for you!!

Sara said...

I love this so much.