Thursday, January 23, 2014

On BBQ Sauce

I have discovered a new barbecue sauce. As an (almost) life-long resident of The South I thought I was an expert on all things BBQ. My love for a South Carolina mustard-based sauce runs hard and deep. I once drove 10 people through the ghettos of Columbus, GA for 30 minutes to get mustard BBQ from Smokey Pig Barbecue. It is one of those BBQ places where the line is out the door 15 minutes before it opens (partly because the interior is smaller than my living room). I still think about that BBQ sometimes.


I enjoy a good Coke/ketchup based sauce, but in North Carolina you can get Cheerwine/ketchup based sauce which is even better. Tennessee's sauce has whiskey in it (of course) & I'm partial to it purely out of state loyalty. I can appreciate a vinegar-based sauce, but won't waste my time if there is something better. Kanas City style sauce is not fit for human consumption (so dull/sweet), but sadly is found all over the country. BUT, this past weekend I discovered the Birmingham white sauce. Even I was surprised to discover a white BBQ sauce. It is only found around the Birmingham area and is basically a mild, smokey mix of mayonnaise and vinegar. It is pretty much exclusively used for chicken and it was pretty good! I don't even really like mayonnaise and I still liked it. What I'm trying to say is, I probably need to go on a BBQ tour of the South. What if there are more delicious sauces I don't know about?!


PSA: If you invite people over for a "barbecue" and you serve them hamburgers made on a grill, you are a liar and made your friends very, very sad. I'm looking at you, Utah. (I fell for that line for 2 years before I learned to expect disappointment)

1 comment:

Sara said...

I had no idea! Please come to Texas and eat at Franklin's . . . Apparently, it's the best in the country, and although I haven't eaten all the bbq in the country, I can say that without a doubt, it's the best bbq I've ever had (and I've had a lot!). You have to wait in line for about 3 hours for it (because it really is that good), but if you come for a visit, I'll wait in line for you. I'm that serious about it.