Tuesday, June 25, 2013

mission accomplished

About 5 years ago I decided I wanted to try to visit all 6 inhabited continents (ie, not Antartica) before I turned 30. At the time I already had North American, Europe, Asia, and Africa so it seemed feasible. I saved up money and went to Australia a few years later with Boy & Rational Thought. But then the PhD program started and I became much busier (and much poorer). I had basically given up on my goal until The Manorexic wised up and decided to marry the amazing woman he'd been dating for years. She just so happens to be Colombian & suddenly I had a good reason to drop my Christmas cash on a plane ticket. Last week I hopped on a plane in Atlanta and 4 hours later I was in the beautiful city of Bogota. (Did you know Bogota is over 8,600 feet above sea level? Take that Provo.)

Bogota as seen from Monserrate, the highest mountain in Bogota (over 10,000 feet) 

It was an awesome trip full of site-seeing, family time (with the Manorexic's family - who may as well be my own), trying to communicate (why have I never taken Spanish?), and being overfed. The big event (El Matrimonio) was gorgeous and fun. I was extremely lazy about taking pictures b/c The Manorexic's little sister is into photography and I knew hers would be better anyway. So when I get them I will put some better pictures up (let's be honest, it will mostly be pictures of unfamiliar food I ate)

This building just screams Latin American to me - this little village was so picturesque!

1 comment:

More Bacon said...

That's pretty incredible. I have only been to North America and Australia. I need to get on it.

Also, I need to make fancier friends who will have their weddings in cool places. Note to self...