Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Book of Mormon (Broadway style)

so you've probably heard that the creators of South Park made a Broadway musical called The Book of Mormon. i first heard about it about a year ago because i read the NYTimes so obsessively that sometimes i make it to the theater section. i was a little apprehensive at first having watched many South Park episodes in my sinful, pre-mission days, but the more i have heard about it the more i want to see it. i have no doubt it will be vulgar and crass, but from everything i've seen that makes up the majority of the offensiveness. i have talked to a few people at church who were quite offended on principle without knowing much about it. if you feel similarly, i have some suggestions:

- first, watch this interview with Trey Parker and Matt Stone. i found it quite encouraging.

- second, read my friend's blog about the non-Mormon v. Mormon dynamic. he an excellent writer and has a lot of intelligent observations.

- last, every time stuff like this comes around in the news, i find myself wondering why anyone is paying attention to the Mormon church in the first place. i think it is a good sign of growth. and, i'll take this type of attention over people storming the LA temple any day.

1 comment:

More Bacon said...

Yeah, I live here, and I know enough from the press that it's not really a play I want to see (not my cup of tea, just style-wise), but really, it has been no big deal. Lots of media and pot stirrers hoped there to be a big uprising and dramatic protesting (more fun to cover drama than just another play opening, I guess), but we've all got other stuff to do. I know a range of people, some who want to see it, some who don't, but I think that the only people who are really worked up about it are a few bloggers who don't live in the city who just have WAY too much time on their hands.

Speaking of that, I should go to bed now...